Jonathan Ward and the engineers at Icon 4×4 are set to bring a Tesla-Mercury mash-up to SEMA this year. Ward and team have spent the last two years retrofitting a Tesla powertrain into a “James Dean” 1949 Mercury coupe. Features include:
- Vintage body CAD-scanned, custom Art Morrison chassis with independent suspension
- Original 1949 paint retained in its patina state
- Period-looking gauges that monitor all electronic functions
- “Vintage V-8” battery controller “engine”
- Factory gas filler repurposed as a CHAdeMO 125A fast-charger plug
- Direct-drive linear acceleration up to a top speed of 120 mph
Stop by the Optima booth (No. 20323) to see the build and to meet Ward, who will be on-site answering questions.