Yokohama Tire will field 27 drivers in multiple divisions during the 101st Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, which takes place June 25 in Colorado Springs, Colorado, the tire manufacturer announced.
Yokohama will also return as the exclusive tire supplier of The Porsche Pikes Peak Trophy by Yokohama for the sixth straight year, the company said, meaning all the Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport vehicles will be competing on ADVAN A052 tires.
Robin Shute, the 2022 overall champion, will compete on specially produced ADVAN tires made with increased usage of sustainable materials from various naturally derived compounding agents, including oil produced from oil palm nuts and orange peels, as well as recycled iron and rubber recycled from waste tires, the company said. As a result, sustainable materials account for about 33% of all materials used in these tires. The three-time overall champion will again vie for the Unlimited division title in his 2018 Wolf GB08 TSC-FS
“Last year’s run was one for the ages and we’re going for it again,” said Drew Dayton, Yokohama’s senior product planning manager, consumer tires. “This event is always a difficult challenge, but we have the drivers, the vehicles and, of course, the tires. Our ADVAN tires have proven they have what it takes, no matter the racing conditions.”
Other entries include:
- Tanner Foust: The veteran racer will compete in the Exhibition division, taking on the mountain in the 700 horsepower Radford Racing Pikes Peak Special Edition Type 62-2. It will be on A005/A006s.
- Randy Pobst: The 2021 Exhibition division champion returns in the Unplugged Performance 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid on ADVAN A005 slicks utilizing Biomass butadiene rubber made from sustainable materials.
- Loni Unser: She’ll drive a 2024 Acura Integra Type S (on A005/A006s) built by Honda Performance Development (HPD) in the Exhibition division. All four HPD cars in the race will be on ADVANs, including the Acura NSX Type S (project name YAMABIKO), which will also be sporting an ADVAN livery.
- Dai Yoshihara: Last year he took second place in the Exhibition division. This time he’ll power the Evasive Motorsports 2005 Honda S2000 in the Pikes Peak Open division on A005/A006s.
- Lucy Block: She’s honoring her late husband Ken Block by driving the single seat Sierra Echo EV fitted with A005/A006s in the Unlimited division.
- Returning winners: Cody Vahsholtz, the 2022 Open Wheel division winner will defend his title in his A005/A006-shod 2013 Ford Open and 2022 Time Attack 1 champ David Donohue is back with his 2019 Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport on A005/A006s.
- Porsche Pikes Peak Trophy by Yokohama field: Chris Becker, Hayden Bradley, George Hess III, Hutton McKenna and Gilles Nadeau will compete on A052s.
Yokohama will also participate again at Fan Fest, set to be held on June 23 in downtown Colorado Springs. At the Yokohama display, there will be a meet-and-greet with drivers, cars on display and more.