Twisted Automotive, a builder of 4x4s based on the Land Rover Defender, is introducing a high-voltage lineup of electric 4×4 vehicles into the North American market. Limited to 30 vehicles, the NAS-E will feature Soft-Top 90 shape, an exclusive electric powertrain and a 200-mile battery range.
“As the world moves steadily toward mass electrification, the Californian market has been missing a uniquely stylish electric 4×4 option that can stand out at the beach, off-road and at stoplights with a level of exclusivity and prestige that can only come from the timeless British Defender form,” said Bruce Riggs, COO of Twisted North America. “With color schemes reflecting the natural beauty of California, a removable soft top shape to fully live the elements, advanced electric powertrain engineering exclusive to Twisted, zero-emission power, practical battery range and luxuriously modern interior touches, the Twisted NAS-E is the ultimate expression of the American coastal lifestyle.”
NAS-E is the first hero vehicle of the Twisted Legacy collection, a re-imagining of the original North American-specification Land Rover Defender. The lineup consists of two trim levels: NAS-E and NAS-E Plus.
Top-level technical specifications: A fully electric, zero-emissions certified direct-drive system built in the U.S. propels the full lineup of Twisted NAS-E models. It will be compliant with North American EV regulations and California CARB regulations.
Based on the NAS short wheelbase 90 Soft-Top, the California Series will make up the first available models with production limited to just 30 units, 10 in each color choice: Malibu, Yosemite and Tahoe.
- NAS-E: Remy Borg-Warner motor delivering more than 380 newton-meters (280 pound-feet) of torque and 214 brake horsepower.
- NAS-E Plus: Performance increases to 420 newton-meters (309 pound-feet) of torque and 320 brake horsepower.
- Charging and Practical Range: 22-kilowatt-hour charging system – with fast charging also available. Access to public charging infrastructure and a 60-kilowatt-hour battery pack provides a 200-mile battery range.
- Suspension: Custom-valved dampers, superior traction, dramatically reduced understeer and suspension travel retained for off-road capability.
- Braking: Twisted Performance six-piston front brakes and four-piston rear brakes, hard-use RS29 brake pads, ABS and TCS for increased traction.
- Drivetrain: Uprated componentry to handle increased torque figures, four-wheel-drive gear-reduction direct transmission – featuring a step-down transfer case for high and low-range use.
- Cream leather seats featuring Alston Alcantara inserts.
- Three-seat bench across the front row with detachable headrests.
- 4x tip-ups located in the load area.
- Twisted Sport Wheels finished in silver.
- Twisted Stage One frontend.
- NAS roll cage and Bimini hood.
- Full infotainment system.
- EV system management touchscreen.
- Raptored ‘spray down’ unique flooring.
- Air conditioning.
- All features included from NAS-E.
- Power increase to 320 brake horsepower.
- NAS brush bar.
- NAS side steps.
- Roll-bar spotlights.
- NAS-E body stripe decal.
- Black side stills.
- Leather and Alston seats.
- EV system management: Sport, Eco and Off-road modes.
- Touch-screen infotainment and navigation.
- Enhanced splash screen with unique function readouts.
- Rearview camera with wide angle.
- Exclusive Twisted eight-channel audio system: Italian designed, UK developed and built specifically for Twisted vehicles.
- Security: GPS tracker and vehicle immobilizer. Companion app enables live monitoring and security features.