From the family appeal of the Chrysler Pacifica to the off-road capabilities of the Ram TRX, Hispanic journalists have identified their picks for the top-10 new vehicles for Hispanic buyers.
The Hispanic Motor Press revealed the winners at the recent 2021 Hispanic Motor Press Awards (HMPA). The 11th annual awards program annually recognizes the best new vehicles for Hispanic car buyers based on styling, driving satisfaction, technology, safety, environmental impact, mechanical reliability and value, according to the group.
“With overall manufacturer advancements in powertrain technology, safety features, infotainment, connectivity and cleaner mobility, it is more important than ever to guide Hispanic car buyers who represent 30% of the growth in new-vehicle sales,” said Ricardo Rodriguez-Long, founder and president of the Hispanic Motor Press.
The winners were announced during a special virtual LA Auto Show Automobility media day with the Motor Press Guild (MPG) in Los Angeles.
“2021 HMPA-selected vehicles offer positive overall ownership experiences and are considered significant automobiles in the market, as they meet the needs and desires of Hispanic consumers,” Rodriguez-Long added.
The 2021 HMPA winners and finalists in the 10 categories are:
- Car Model of the Year: Hyundai Elantra; Finalists: Kia K5, Honda Accord
- EV Car of the Year: Ford Mach-E; Finalists: Chevrolet Bolt EV, Kia Niro EV
- Hybrid Car of the Year: Honda CR-V Hybrid; Finalists: Hyundai Elantra Hybrid, Toyota RAV4 Prime
- Sports Car of the Year: Dodge Challenger SRT; Finalists: Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang
- Luxury Car of the Year: Genesis GV80; Finalists: Cadillac Escalade w/Super Cruise, Lincoln Aviator
- Car Technology of the Year: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell; Finalists: Honda Clarity Fuel Cell, Hyundai NEXO Fuel Cell
- SUV of the Year: Chevrolet Suburban; Finalists: Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe
- Pickup Truck of the Year: Ford F-150; Finalists: Chevrolet Silverado, Ram 1500
- Adventure Car of the Year: Ram TRX; Finalists: Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
- Family Car of the Year: Chrysler Pacifica; Finalists: Buick Envision, Toyota Sienna
The 2021 HMPA Jury Panel was comprised of independent Hispanic automotive journalists, content creators and industry influencers selected by the organization’s advisory board. Over 20 juror members evaluated over 100 new vehicles during 2020 and into 2021.