Dodge Direct Connection has introduced two new supercharged and turbocharged crate engine series, the company announced. Dodge will showcase powerplants from both new Hellephant and HurriCrate lineups, as well as additional Direct Connection products, in the brand’s display area at the 2022 SEMA Show.
The Direct Connection supercharged Hellephant series of crate engines will offer cast iron and aluminum engines ranging from approximately 900 to over 1,100 horsepower, based on preliminary estimates, the company said. The all-new HurriCrate series of crate engines will offer a lineup including a Cat 1 crate engine that delivers up to 420 horsepower and a Cat 3 engine that reaches up to 550 horsepower, based on preliminary estimates.
Direct Connection is also expanding its line of officially licensed parts, with the introduction of the 1,500 hp/1,000 lb.-ft. Direct Connection 1500 HEMI Crate Engine offered by partner DSR Performance.
Direct Connection Hellephant Engine Series
Direct Connection’s family of Hellephant engines all feature a 3.0L IHI supercharger and GENIII HEMI engine block available in cast iron or aluminum and are designed for either premium or E85 fuel. Expanding from the original 1,000-horsepower Hellephant 426 Supercharged crate engine, Direct Connection will offer three new variants with upgraded hardware and fuel systems to maximize power output.
The new lineup of high-horsepower Direct Connection crate engines will launch with a new naming convention that indicates engine block material (cast iron or aluminum) and fuel type. Each engine name begins with an “A” or “C,” for aluminum or cast-iron block, followed by a numeric representation of fuel type — “30” for premium fuel (E15 max) or “170” for E85 fuel — with numbers corresponding to the alcohol content “proof” in the recommended fuel type.
The Hellephant lineup of four crate engines includes:
- A30 Crate Engine: Formally known as the Hellephant 426 Supercharged HEMI crate engine, the A30 makes use of a 426 cubic-inch bored and stroked GEN III HEMI aluminum block and features 4340 H-beam rods with forged aluminum pistons and 3.17-inch supercharger pulley to achieve 1,000 horsepower on premium fuel
- A170 Crate Engine: Building on the performance of the A30 with upgraded fuel system with flex fuel capability, the A170 delivers over 1,100 horsepower with E85 fuel, based on preliminary estimates
- C30 Crate Engine: This new entry in the Hellephant lineup starts with an upgraded 376 cubic-inch cast-iron long block and features a 3.0L IHI supercharger with larger throttle body, stronger rods, pistons, upgraded hardware, and an improved valvetrain to produce approximately 900 horsepower on premium fuel, based on preliminary estimates
- C170 Crate Engine: Building on the performance of the C30 with upgraded fuel system and flex fuel capability, the C170 will deliver over 1,000 horsepower with E85 fuel, based on preliminary estimates
Direct Connection HurriCrate Engine Series
The all-new Direct Connection HurriCrate Series engines are derived from the 3.0L Hurricane twin-turbo engine.
The HurriCrate series of crate engines employs engineering and technologies that include two low-inertia, high-flow turbochargers for rapid response to throttle inputs, Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (spray bore) coating in the cylinder bores for an ultra-thin, low-friction wear surface, and high-pressure direct fuel injection.
The HurriCrate engine series features options based on the desired level of performance. The HurriCrate Cat 1 crate engine offers up to 420 horsepower, while the HurriCrate Cat 3 delivers up to 550 horsepower, based on preliminary estimates. The Cat 1 utilizes the inherent torque advantage of the Hurricane engine’s twin-turbo inline six-cylinder design to deliver 468 Ib.-ft. of torque by 2,500 rpm, while the Cat 3 delivers its max 531 lb.-ft. of torque at just 3,500 rpm.
Plans for a racing variant, the HurriCrate Cat X crate engine, are currently under development for race applications, including a future Drag Pak.
Cat 1 Crate Engine Highlights
- Twin turbocharged with liquid charge-air cooling turbos delivers 22 psi of peak boost
- Cast aluminum pistons with cast iron top ring land insert
- 10.4:1 compression ratio with premium fuel recommended
- Single high-pressure direct fuel injection with pump actuated by a dedicated chain-driven shaft
- Engine-mounted water-to-air charge cooler with a dedicated cooling circuit with single inlet
Cat 3 Crate Engine Highlights
- Twin Garrett turbochargers with liquid charge-air cooling turbos delivers 26 psi of peak boost
- Enhanced performance is delivered by lightweight, oil-jet cooled, forged aluminum pistons with an anodized top ring land and a diamond-like coating (DLC) on the pins to minimize friction
- 9.5:1 compression ratio with premium fuel recommended
- Dual high-pressure direct fuel injection with pumps actuated by a dedicated chain-driven shaft
- Engine-mounted water-to-air charge cooler with a dedicated cooling circuit with dual inlet
Hellephant and HurriCrate series crate engine horsepower and torque specifications are preliminary estimates Full details on the Hellephant and HurriCrate series of crate engines, including pricing, availability and final specifications, will be announced in 2023.