Extang’s Marketing Tool of Choice: Tricked-Out Tailgate Truck
Bigger, better and bolder builds are what make the SEMA Show a new experience year-after-year, which is exactly the sentiment driving Extang’s idea behind its 2019 Ford F-350 Lariat project. Aptly named for its design theme, the Ultimate Tailgate Truck was stationed in the Ford booth during the 2018 SEMA Show. Viewed from the right angle—as pictured in the photo above—it’s difficult to recogize the tailgate is even attached to the slickly designed F-350, giving new meaning to business in the front, party in the back.
For the build, Extang engineers teamed up with Custom Cars and Concepts students from Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, Michigan, to take the stock F-350 to something a little more game ready.
Extang kicked off the build with a black and copper color scheme, meticulously carried through every design and accessory element. It sports a mirror-perfect AkzoNobel Modern Classikk Black Hole Black paint job, custom copper-plated F-350 Fender Badges and custom copper-plated Fuel Off-Road Dually Maverick 24-inch wheels.
Game-winning additions include a custom copper-plated swing-out cooler and grill mounted behind the tailgate. Once the tailgate is lowered, the fun really begins with a folding custom truck bed cover that reveals an integrated 65-inch OLED LG 4K TV, with UnderCover SwingCases, and custom Maxxsonics MB Quart 8-inch speakers.
The final touch to the F-350 Lariat to help it stand far out from other tailgate rigs is the custom-fabricated, low-profile cargo slide with an integrated expanding multi-purpose table. The table can be used for classic tailgating games, or for delicious gameday fare.
The Custom Cars and Concepts program at Washtenaw Community College provides students opportunities to build and expand on the core knowledge and skills acquired in the areas of auto restoration, welding and fabrication, mechanics, and collision repair. Students work in a team design, build, complete, and showcase a project vehicle.
Employment possibilities for students completing courses in this program range from auto restoration and customization technician to a professional level race facility, according to the school.
Making the Ultimate Tailgate Truck
Here’s all the stats, products and measurables behind Extang’s Ultimate Tailgate Truck:
- 2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, crew cab, dual rear wheel, 8-foot bed
- 6.7L Power Stroke V-8 Turbo Diesel
- Torqueshift Heavy-Duty six-speed Selectshift Automatic Transmission
- Stock powertrain (935 lb.-ft. torque/450 horsepower)
- Ford Performance exhaust tail pipe/custom black tip
- Custom designed, bolt-on suspension by Arft’s Speed Shop with four-link rear end
- Air Lift Performance 3P Air Management System with four-corner pressure control
- SMC fittings and lines
- Viair Air Compressors and Air Lift Dominator 2600 Air Springs
—Wheels and Tires
- Fuel Off-Road Dually Maverick 24-inch wheels, custom copper-plated with black painted accents
- Custom Babymoon Lug Covers
- Dilente DX10 Bandit A/T 285/40R24 tires
- Stock Lariat interior with Ultimate Package
- B&O Premium Audio System
- Ford Accessories All-Weather Floor Mats
- Custom paint applied by Washtenaw Community College Custom Cars & Concepts
- AkzoNobel Modern Classikk Black Hole Black Paint with Sikkens Autoclear
- Ford Accessories Hard Folding Bed Cover
- Ford Accessories Sportliner by BedRug
- Ford Accessories front wheel well liners
- Custom mounted bed cover with integrated 65-inch OLED LG 4K TV
- UnderCover SwingCases with custom installed Maxxsonics MB Quart 8-inch speakers
- Custom copper-plated swing-out cooler and grill behind tailgate
- Custom fabricated low-profile cargo slide with integrated expanding game table
- Shaved door handles with SPAL Door Poppers by Custom Cars & Concepts
- Billet badges custom copper-plated F-350 fender badges
- Black painted Ford Platinum Grille
- ARP 12-point fasteners used throughout custom bed components