E.C.D. Automotive Design (E.C.D.) has unveiled Project Overload, a 1972 Land Rover Series III refurbished to look like it did the day it rolled off the factory floor 50 years ago.
Project Overload is E.C.D.’s first-ever Series III rebuild, the company said. Specializing in bespoke vintage Defenders, E.C.D. also offers Series IIA and Range Rover Classic luxury restorations.
“Unlike other builds where the base vehicle is sourced and imported from Europe via our U.K. logistics center, the former work vehicle was already in the client’s possession and given to us to be revamped from the frame-up to its full glory while preserving its English heritage. In this spirit, Project Overload maintains many original features – notably its right-hand drive,” said E.C.D. co-founder Tom Humble. “It’s truly a fusion of classic style and subtle modern elements that is sure to thrill any Land Rover enthusiast.”
Painted in a glossy Dark Bronze Green with silver accents, Project Overload’s authentic elements include a classic grille and bumper with fog lights. The roof rack is also original to the truck, galvanized by E.C.D.’s team of specialists. The restored Series III is perched on 16-inch BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires with 16-inch green OEM wheels. In the Land Rover series fashion, the spare wheel carrier rests on the hood. Coupling its classic styling with modern performance, the four-door off-roader holds a 430-horsepower LS3 V8 engine mated to a 6-speed manual T56 Magnum transmission, the designers said. The off-roader is also equipped with FOX off-road suspension and EBC FAST breaks.
Another feature of the Series III is its double-skinned hardtop “safari” roof. When on the move, the slight gap funnels airflow inside via four vents, helping keep passengers cool without needing to blast the air conditioning on high, the company said.
Inside, Project Overload holds true to the classic Series III interior with a handful of customizations to fit the client’s vision. Configurated in a 2+3+4 layout, the seats are wrapped in a Garrett Torino Lager leather with a handstitched vertical diamond pattern. The original three abreast front seating was modified in favor of replacing the middle seat with an E.C.D. custom cubby console for more storage. Other traditional touches include a classic Land Rover steering wheel, a classic style gauge set, manual windows and a classic dash with the addition of a custom classic Defender air conditioning system. A Pioneer Single-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth rounds out the rehabilitated Series III’s upgrades.
Project Overload Specifications
- Model — Land Rover Series III 109” Hard Top
- Engine — LS3 V8 430HP
- Transmission — 6-Speed Manual T56 Magnum Transmission
- Axels – Stock
- Suspension — FOX Off-Road
- Brakes – EBC FAST
- Fuel System – Stock
- Paint Color — Dark Bronze Green with Full Gloss
- Roof Top Color — Chawton White
- Wheels — 16” OEM Classic Steel Painted in Dark Bronze Green
- Tires — 16” BF Goodrich All-Terrain
- Grille — Classic Land Rover Grille
- Additional Features — Double-Skinned Safari Roof, Silver Roof Rack, Hood Mounted Spare Wheel, Fog Lamps on Bumper
- Seat Layout — 2+3+4
- Front Seats — 2 Classic Seats
- Middle Row Seats — 3 Seat Bench
- Load Area Seats — 2 Inward Facing 2 Seat Benches
- Leather Color — Garret Torino Lager
- Seat Design – Vertical Diamond Center with Garret Hacienda Stitching on All Seats
- Carpet — Black, OEM Rubber Mats All Around
- Steering Wheel — Classic Heritage Wheel on Right Hand Side
- Gauges — Classic Gauges
- Dash — Classic Dash with Classic Defender AC system
- Center Console — E.C.D. Custom Cubby Console
- Additional Features — Manual Windows
Audio & Electronics
- Radio — Pioneer Single-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth
- Sound System — 2 Speakers