Chevrolet this week introduced a “reinvigorated” 2019 Camaro lineup with new designs and technologies. The company also debuted the Turbo 1LE.
Highlights of the 2019 Camaro include:
- Camaro SS now offered with 10L80 10-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission featuring custom launch control and line lock
- Chevrolet Infotainment 3 systems, including available navigation
- New available rear camera mirror
- New available forward collision alert
The new Camaro Turbo 1LE joins the V-6 1LE, SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE to round out Camaro’s lineup of 1LE track models. The Turbo 1LE includes Camaro’s 2-liter turbocharged engine, an exclusive six-speed manual transmission and a tailored chassis package derived from the V-6 1LE to offer track-capable performance.
Other highlights include:
- FE3 suspension with larger diameter front and rear stabilizer bars, specifically tuned dampers, stiffer rear cradle bushings and cross-axis ball joints in the rear tow links that enhance lateral stiffness
- Split front/rear summer-only tire sizes: P245/40R20 (front) and P275/35R20 (rear)
- 2-liter turbo engine with 275 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque
- Brembo brake package with low-metallic performance pads
- Nearly 50/50 weight balance
- Driver Mode Selector with Sport Mode and new Track Mode; Competition Mode (within Sport and Track modes) includes performance instrument readouts, launch control, shift lights and more
- Standard sueded flat-bottom steering wheel and shift knob plus available Recaro seats
Camaro’s Performance-Driven Design
The 2019 Camaro’s updated designs are not only striking but also help to improve performance, according Chevy. For instance, the grille details and hood and fascia vents were designed for optimized air flow, either to cool components or help minimize drag or lift.
Design highlights include:
- New front-end styling with distinct differences between LS/LT, RS and SS, including the fascia, grille, LED dual-element headlamps and reshaped hood (ZL1 retains its airflow-optimized front-end styling)
- SS-specific front fascia with flowtie open bowtie grille emblem and aero-enhancing air curtains, specific headlamps with new LED signature and extractor-style hood
- RS Appearance Package available on LT adds unique polished black grille with Galvano Chrome lower inserts, new LED headlamps with LED signature light bar, specific rear fascia with rear diffuser and 20-inch wheels
- New rear fascias for all models, with specific diffusers on RS and SS when equipped with Dual Mode Exhaust
- New LED taillamps with a more sculptured evolution of Chevrolet’s signature dual-element design; red lenses are featured on LS and LT, with RS, SS and ZL1 featuring dark-tinted neutral-density lenses
- New 20-inch wheel designs on RS and SS
The 2019 Camaro offers Chevrolet’s next-generation Infotainment 3 with all-new systems that provide a more personalized experience and a more intuitive interface, according to the company.
Chevrolet claims the infotainment functionality mimics the latest smartphones and tablets. The cloud connection is designed to enhance personalization, available navigation, voice recognition, apps and more.
The standard system features a 7-inch-diagonal color touchscreen. An 8-inch diagonal touchscreen running Infotainment 3 is available, including one with navigation.
Additional new technology features and enhancements include:
- Standard rear camera mirror on 2SS and ZL1 models offers a wider, less obstructed field of view using a camera display that eliminates potential obstructions such as rear body pillars or seat headrests; a conventional rearview mirror view is also available
- Improved standard rear-vision camera system with a new, digital high-definition camera that offers improved view quality
- Forward Collision Alert joins Camaro’s roster of available active safety features
- Enhanced Performance Data Recorder system