*See a million-dollar Barracuda in the photo gallery below
Is it possible for an everyday car sold at the dealership to some day become a collectible car worth millions of dollars? Vehicle valuation specialists, Black Book, analyzed several affordable cars that were once purchased modestly at MSRP and eventually became great collectibles.
The 1971 Plymouth Barracuda heads the list. Once purchased at an asking price of $4,296, the ‘Cuda has a current value of $2.5 million-a 58,000-percent increase in value over time.
“What makes a car a collectible over time includes any number of factors that include popularity, pop culture, and production volume,” said Eric Lawrence, director of specialty products at Black Book. “Many people think today’s uber-expensive vehicles always came with a hefty price tag, but these vehicles show that’s clearly not the case.”
In second place, and a ways behind the ’71 Barracuda, is The 1967 Shelby Cobra. The ’67 Cobra was once purchased for $7,500 and has a present day value of $1.3 million, a 17,000-percent increase.
Here’s the top-12 list of other major vehicle valuation increases compiled by Black Book:
Black Book attends wholesale vehicle and specialty vehicle auctions around the country each day and week, recording and publishing valuations in real time for a variety of automotive professionals.
- 1971 Plymouth Barracuda Hemi 426 Convertible-Original MSRP $4,296, now worth $2.5 million
- 1967 Shelby Cobra 427 Roadster-Original MSRP $7,500, now worth $1.3 million
- 1971 Pontiac GTO Judge Convertible-Original MSRP $4,070, now worth $225,000
- 1948 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country Hardtop-Original MSRP $2,725, now worth $140,000
- 1965 Porsche 911 Coupe-Original MSRP $6,490, now worth $250,000
- 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible-Original MSRP $7,400, now worth $270,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/435hp Convertible-Original MSRP $4,677, now worth $165,000
- 1968 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi 426 Coupe-Original MSRP $3,937, now worth $135,000
- 1957 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible-Original MSRP $5,782, now worth $175,000
- 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe-Original MSRP $3,184, now worth $95,000
- 1957 Ford Thunderbird Convertible-Original MSRP $3,408, now worth $85,000
- 1965 Ford Mustang GT 289/271hp Convertible-Original MSRP $3,156, now worth $68,500