Additional news sources contributed
Welcome to Texas, the state with its own state-of-mind and passion for trucks. So much so that the 50 members of the Texas Auto Writer’s Association (TAWA) converged on the city of San Antonio and headed for the hills to test more than 60 of the industry’s top-selling trucks, SUVs and CUVs. The peaks, valleys, creeks, canyons and rocky ledges were alive at Knibbe Ranch with the roar of offroad engines during the TAWA’s annual truck-testing Texas Truck Rodeo, Oct. 18-20.
The 2013 Ram 1500 captured TAWA’s “Truck of Texas” top title. Last year, the honor went to the Ford F-150. The Ram won by approximately 100 points; Ram’s Laramie Longhorn held the honors two years ago until it was beaten by F-150 in 2012.
Journalists evaluated the trucks over the course of the two-day event featuring on-road and offroad vehicle appraisals. Consideration was given to everything from interior and exterior styling and offroad capacity to the vehicle’s overall utility, value and fuel efficiency, stated a press release from Chrysler Group.
“Automotive reporters have reacted extremely favorably to the new 2013 Ram 1500, and our research tells us that resonates with truck buyers,” said Fred Diaz, a San Antonio, Texas, native and president and CEO of Ram Truck Brand and Chrysler de Mexico, Chrysler Group LLC. “Texas is Ram’s biggest market -¦ . The pickup market is fiercely competitive and we are proud the Texas Auto Writers have awarded Ram trucks with these coveted titles.”
The auto writers group named three overall winners, including “Truck of Texas,” “SUV of Texas” and “Crossover of Texas,” along with 19 additional categories. The final results follow:
- Full-size pickup truck: 2013 Ram 1500
- Mid-size pickup truck: 2013 Toyota Tacoma
- Luxury pickup truck: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
- Truck Line of Texas: 2013 Ram Trucks
- Heavy-duty pickup truck: 2013 Ford F-250 Super Duty
- Offroad truck: 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
- Sport Utility Vehicle of Texas: 2013 Grand Cherokee
- Crossover Utility Vehicle of Texas: 2013 Buick Enclave
- Full-size SUV: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Mid-size SUV: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
- Compact SUV: 2013 Ford Escape
- Full-size luxury SUV: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
- Mid-size luxury SUV: 2013 Ford Explorer Sport
- Full-size CUV: 2013 Buick Enclave
- Mid-size luxury CUV: 2013 Cadillac SRX
- Compact CUC: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
- Midsize CUV: 2013 GMC Terrain
- Full-size CUV: 2013 GMC Acadia