Team Moroso from Eastern Oklahoma County Tech Center in Choctaw, Okla., won this year’s Hot Rodders of Tomorrow Engine Challenge Championship.
The Hot Rodders of Tomorrow program is designed to encourage high school teens to take an interest in the performance aftermarket. Each Hot Rodder team, which consists of five students and one instructor, competes to disassemble and reassemble an engine with aftermarket components in the shortest amount of time.
Team Moroso, sponsored by Guilford, Conn.-based Moroso Performance Products, came in first place with an average time of 19:15 minutes, according to the Hot Rodders of Tomorrow. Each student on the winning team will receive a $10,000 scholarship to continue their automotive careers at the University of Northern Ohio, Ohio Technical College or School of Automotive Machinists.
Team Moroso was composed of Callie Hunter, Ryan Campbell, Alexander Versteeg, Connor Hixenbaugh, Connor Carrizales and Nicholas Brown, according to the Hot Rodders of Tomorrow. Jim LaFevers served as the team’s instructor.
The finals were held in December at the Performance Racing Industry trade show in Indianapolis.
The three colleges provided more than $2 million in scholarship funds to participants of the Hot Rodders of Tomorrow program. Each student in the top 23 teams (out of 125 total participating teams) will receive at least $5,000 in scholarships, according to Rodney Bingham, Hot Rodders of Tomorrow program director.
Here are the final rankings:
1. Eastern Oklahoma County Tech Center; Okla.; Team Moroso; 19:15:00 minutes
2. Thomas County Central High School; Ga.; Team Parts Pro; 20:34:00 minutes
3. East Ridge High School; Tenn.; Team Comp Cams; 22:53:40 minutes
4. Peach County High School; Ga.; Team Mr. Gasket; 23:37:20 minutes
5. Peach County High School; Ga.; Team Royal Purple; 24:28:20 minutes
6. Elkhart Area Career Center #2; Ind.; Team Auto Meter; 25:12:00 minutes
7. Elkhart Area Career Center; Ind.; Team Edelbrock; 26:03:20 minutes
8. Belvidere North High School; Ill.; Team PRW; 26:05:20 minutes
9. Forsyth Central High School; Ga.; Team WeatherTech; 26:06:00 minutes
10. Sequoyah High School Team #2; Tenn.; Team Allstar Performance; 26:29:00 minutes
11. Joliet Central High School Team; Ill.; Team Motive Gear; 26:32:00 minutes
12. Loara High School; Calif.; Team ARP; 26:46:00 minutes
13. Canyon ISD; Texas; Team Thermo-Tec; 30:44:40 minutes
14. Fremd High School Team; Ill.; Team Holley; 31:15:40 minutes
15. Lakeshore High School; Mich.; Team Derale; 32:04:20 minutes
16. Rancho Alamitos High School; Calif.; Team Howards Cams; 32:28:20 minutes
17. Lockport High School; Ill.; Team DART; 33:32:20 minutes
18. South Elgin High School; Ill.; Team Aeroquip; 36:23:00 minutes
19. Calabasas High School; Calif.; Team Hedman Hedders; 38:28:00 minutes
20. Katella High School NOCROP; Calif.; CTEK; 44:02:00 minutes
21. Sequoyah High School Team #1; Tenn.; Team Taylor Cable; 45:18:40 minutes
22. Burton Center for Arts & Technology; Va.; Team MAHLE; 58:33:20 minutes
23. Glenbrook North High School; Ill.; Team DEI; 60:13:20 minutes
For more information, visit www.hotroddersoftomorrow.com.