*See more images by clicking photo gallery below
This fall, the Toyota Tacoma will rejoin the 2017 model year TRD Pro family with new, factory-installed off-road equipment designed by the experts at Toyota Racing Development (TRD) to make it even more off-road capable than before, according to Toyota.
The 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro, based on the Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4×4 Double Cab Short Bed model, will be available in three exterior colors: Cement, Barcelona Red Metallic, and Super White. The exterior of each Tacoma TRD Pro model will also include:
- 16-inch TRD black alloy wheels with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Kevlar-reinforced tires
- TRD Pro aluminum front skid plate
- Rigid Industries LED fog lights
- Projector-beam headlights with black bezels, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), and auto on/off feature
- Taillights with black bezels
- TRD Pro badge on front door with diamond-pattern knurled finish
- Black TRD Pro and 4×4 rear tailgate badging
Each Tacoma TRD Pro will also come equipped with a heritage-inspired TOYOTA front grille with color-keyed surround, blacked out hood scoop and graphic, color-keyed power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, color-keyed door handles, black overfenders, and a color-keyed rear bumper.
The interior features of the new Tacoma TRD Pro includes:
- Black TRD Pro leather-trimmed heated front seats with TRD Pro logo located in the headrest
- Four-way adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support and four-way adjustable front passenger seat
- Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite
- TRD shift knob
- TRD Pro floor mats
- Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio and Bluetooth hands-free phone controls
- Rear parking assist sonar
- Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
The truck also has an analog instrumentation that features a 4.2-inch color Multi-Information Display with an integrated inclinometer and tilt gauge. The MID also adds outside temperature, odometer, tripmeters, and average fuel economy.
A GoPro mount is located on the windshield.
The Tacoma TRD Pro will be powered by a 3.5-Liter V6 DOHC 24-valve direct-injection Atkinson-cycle engine with VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide) intake and VVT-I exhaust.
TRD-installed suspension and exhaust enhancements include:
- FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks tuned by TRD
- TRD-tuned front springs with a 1-inch lift
- TRD-tuned rear suspension with progressive-rate off-road leaf spring
Every Tacoma TRD Pro will be equipped with 4WDemand part-time 4WD with a transfer case and Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD) that are both electronically-controlled. Also standard will be a V6 Tow Package that includes a Class-IV towing receiver hitch, ATF cooler (automatic only), engine oil cooler, power steering cooler, 130-amp alternator, four- and seven-pin connector with convertor, and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC), according to Toyota.
An electronically controlled locking rear differential is also standard to help distribute engine power evenly to both rear wheels so they move at the same speed, providing more grip in low-traction conditions.
When the trail gets challenging, Tacoma TRD Pro’s Crawl Control (CRAWL) will help drivers conquer the road. Equipped on automatics only, this advanced system automatically modulates the throttle and brakes on five low-speed settings so the driver can keep focus while navigating difficult terrain.
Equipped on Tacoma TRD Pro automatic is the Toyota Multi-terrain Select system. With five modes to choose from, the system helps regulate wheel spin by automatically adjusting the engine throttle and traction control.
Tacoma TRD Pro’s Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) is also equipped on automatic transmission models only. This technology helps minimize Tacoma from rolling backward when a driver moves her foot from the brake to the gas pedal.