*See clickable photo gallery below
The Pebble Beach Concours d’ Elegance was the chosen venue to introduce a flagship premier luxury sport-utility vehicle by Lexus: the 2016 Lexus LX 570. With a powerful V8, 4WD chassis and seating for eight, the Lexus LX 570 remains one of the few luxury utility vehicles that combines sumptuous luxury with true off-road capability, according to the company.
Lexus left barely any surface of the LX 570 untouched in a sweeping upgrade for 2016, with only door panels carried over from 2015. The new front end wears an even bolder rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille, framed by satin chrome trim and complemented by distinctive new standard LED headlights, turn signals and fog lights. The design makeover gives the LX 570 new 20-inch split 10-spoke wheels, and new available 21-inch 10-spoke wheels. The taillights and rear bumper also get a new look.
The upgrades for 2016 go beyond skin-deep. An eight-speed automatic transmission replaces the former six-speed for enhanced performance and efficiency. New Drive Mode Select, as used in other Lexus vehicles, allows the LX 570 driver to tailor powertrain and suspension responses by using a dial on the console. The system also controls responses of the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), which continually adjusts shock absorber damping rates while driving, helping to ensure optimal comfort even as the road surface changes.
Modes include ECO, which adjusts powertrain responses and air conditioning to prioritize fuel-efficient driving; COMFORT mode optimizes AVS damping to help deliver the smoothest ride possible; SPORT S mode dials up powertrain response and dials down power steering assist to yield a sportier driving feel, and, to that, SPORT S+ mode adds firmer damping control from AVS to prioritize handling agility.
The 5.7-liter V8 engine produces 383 horsepower and delivers 90-percent of its 403 lb.-ft. peak torque at 3,600 rpm, coupled with a 7,000-pound towing capacity.
A new standard feature for 2016, the panoramic view camera is an invaluable aid when hitching and maneuvering a trailer, viewing the surround terrain when off-roading, and helping view the area around the vehicle (sides, front and rear) when maneuvering tight spaces, according to Lexus. The new, larger 12.3-inch navigation screen can show several view combinations (panoramic/driver’s side, panoramic/passenger’s side, panoramic/rear, panoramic/front, side/side, rear, front/side/side, underfloor/side/side, rear/side/side) to help aid the driver.
The LX also adds standard several safety features, new multimedia with Remote Touch Interface and substantial dual screens for the available Rear Seat Entertainment System to help captivate passengers.
Lexus LX 570: What’s New for 2016?
- Eight-speed automatic transmission replaces six-speed
- Restyled front end with one-piece spindle grille
- Drive Mode Select
- LED headlights, turn signals and fog lights
- Revised taillights and rear bumper
- New 20- and 21-inch wheel designs
- Standard Lexus Safety System +
- Upgraded multimedia with 12.3-inch screen and Remote Touch Interface
- Larger 4.2-inch multi-information display
- Standard Panoramic View Camera
- Available Heads-Up Display
- Three-spoke wood-trimmed steering wheel
- Luxury Package now includes ventilated/heated rear seats
- LED ambient lighting in cabin and cargo area
- Touch-sensor overhead lighting
- Manual second-row sunshades
- Available wireless charging tray for Qi-compatible phones
- Larger 11.6-inch screens for available Rear Seat Entertainment System
- Tire-specific tire pressure monitoring system
- Standard Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Available Lexus Enform Remote
- Available Lexus Enform Service Connect