The No. 1 cause of job dissatisfaction in America is working for a bad boss. Establish a “Zero Tolerance for Bad-Bosses Policy” in your company, and eliminate these behaviors:
- Micromanaging people who are competent
- Doing all the talking at meetings
- Holding unnecessary meetings or allowing them to go too long
- Treating employees poorly, then falling all over customers
- Giving lip-service
- Taking the credit
- Forgetting to thank people for their hard work
- Reprimanding or “correcting” someone in front of others
- Not being a team player
- Not being a straight shooter
- Putting up with underperformers or negative people
- Telling people to do something a certain way, then changing it without explaining why
- Driving up to the office in a brand-new car when employees haven’t had a raise for six years.
Sorry to say, there are more. For now, ask yourself these two questions:
1. Would you work for YOU?
2. Are you a Boss? Or a Leader?