*See video below
General Motors Co. is rolling out the automotive industry’s first commerce platform for on-demand reservations and purchases of goods and services. With Marketplace, drivers can now order and pay for their morning coffee on the way to work with a simple tap on the dash.
Marketplace allows customers to order food, find the closest gas station to save on fuel, and make dinner reservations on the go. The feature will be available on certain Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles.
The first brands accessible through Marketplace, according to GM, include:
- Wingstop will allow drivers to skip the wait by re-ordering and paying ahead
- Starbucks offers another convenient way for customers to order ahead
- Dunkin’ Donuts will allow DD Perks members to preorder and pay onscreen for their favorite coffee and donut, at their preferred pickup location
- TGI Fridays will let customers schedule a table reservation
- Shell will provide ease of payment and savings with INSTANT GOLD STATUS in the Fuel Rewards program. Customers’ closest Shell station will be identified and station amenities showcased among the largest fuel station network in the U.S., with the ability to pay in-dash coming soon
- ExxonMobil will quickly locate Exxon and Mobil fuel stations with details of what they offer, route drivers there and get them back on the road faster
- Priceline.com gives drivers access to hundreds of thousands of hotels and exclusive hotel savings on the go
- Parkopedia allows drivers to find, reserve and pay for parking, all at the click of a button
- Applebee’s ensures customers can locate their nearest restaurant, order featured menu items and reorder recent favorites through the convenience of their vehicle’s touchscreen
- IHOP makes it easy for guests to enjoy hot, fresh all-day breakfast favorites like fluffy buttermilk pancakes on the go, thanks to safe and secure on-dash ordering and location service capabilities that help search and find the nearest restaurant for pickup
- Delivery.com empowers the neighborhood economy by enabling customers to order online from their favorite local restaurants, wine and spirits shops, grocery stores and laundry and dry-cleaning providers
- GM lets customers buy 4G LTE Data packages, extend their OnStar subscription or receive offers for certified service, parts and accessories for their specific vehicle.
Marketplace also features a Shop section dedicated to offers specific to GM vehicles, for instance purchasing Wi-Fi data, discounts for an oil change or deals on GM accessories. Simple on-screen notifications can identify relevant offers.
Marketplace is designed to be used while driving, according to GM. It leverages machine learning from real-time interaction data, such as location, time of day and a driver’s established digital relationship with third-party merchants, to offer highly personalized experiences.
Adhering to industry distracted driving guidelines, as well as GM’s strict in-house safety guiding principles, GM designs its in-vehicle systems to minimize manual interactions, helping drivers keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel, according to the company.
“The average American spends 46 minutes per day on the road driving. Leveraging connectivity and our unique data capabilities, we have an opportunity to make every trip more productive and give our customers time back,” said Santiago Chamorro, vice president for global connected customer experience for GM. “Marketplace is the first of a suite of new personalization features that we will roll out over the next 12 to 18 months to nearly 4 million U.S. drivers.”
Leveraging the embedded 4G LTE connectivity, GM is adding Marketplace to millions of existing 2017 and 2018 model-year cars, trucks and crossovers that have compatible infotainment systems, with continued rollout to compatible new vehicles. A separate data plan is not required to use Marketplace.
“For most retailers and consumer brands the daily commute is the only time not accessible in a consumers’ day,” said Chamorro. “Marketplace gives merchants the ability to more safely engage with drivers and passengers in a meaningful way that provides true value for our customers.”
Merchants interested in Marketplace can contact the above platform partners or email GM at Marketplace@onstar.com.