Paint protection and window film products are part of a mix of aftermarket accessories that contribute to value, performance and/or vehicle aesthetics. Manufacturing and installation technologies are changing as the use of automotive films increases.
- Film markets are expanding and interconnected: window films are a natural progression from paint protection films; paint protection films are a natural progression from window films.
- Films are not limited by variations in consumer tastes or by genres of vehicles. Tint demand varies by region but is consistent.
- Paint protection film is used most frequently to protect vulnerable painted areas on vehicles from rocks, bugs and road debris that causes chipping:
- Bumpers and leading edges of hoods and fenders, mirror backs, air dams, body kits, door handle grab areas, keyholes, doorsills and edges, and wings
Developing markets for paint protection films:
- Recreational vehicles
- Trailers, off-road vehicles, ATVs
- Personal watercraft
- Commercial and fleet
- Emergency vehicles
Window film benefits:
- UV screening
- Improve driver and passenger comfort
- Reduce glare
- Shield passengers
- Reduce heat build-up
- Heat reduction
Window film types/characteristics:
- Dyed, non-metalized: economical; protects from glare and UV damage; subject to color change; does not interfere with GPS or cell phone signals.
- High-Performance hybrid: dyed polyester and metal; offers better heat rejection than metal-free films.
- All-metal: strong heat rejection; protection from glare and UV light; reflective appearance; may disrupt some radio signals.
- Spectrally selective: allow most light into the car, but reject infrared; generally do not interfere with GPS/cell signal.
- Ceramic: contain metal oxides; heat rejection properties similar to hybrids; no signal disruption.
- Nanotechnology; nanoparticles selectively transmit visible light and block infrared.
Film Material Supply Chain:
- Pre-cut paint protection and window film kits for specific models from various vendors
- Custom plotter cut templates from bulk film stock
- Custom hand cut from bulk film stock
Pre-cut kit suppliers:
Solar Gard / Bekaert Specialty Films
Solar Gard Clearshield
Scotchgard Paint Protection Film
Performance Tools Distributing
Lamin-x Protective Films
Marklyn Group Inc.
Moonraker Professional Installer film
Star Shield Armor
- Roland DGA
- Mimaki USA
- Mutoh America
- Graphtec America
- Gerber Scientific Products
Film Pattern Software:
3M Digital Designs
(Designed for 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film & includes patterns for VentureShield Paint Protection Film)
Film Designs Pro
Tint Tek 20/20
Window FilmCutting Software
Design Access Program
The Bad Wrap