For the more than 20 percent of Expedition owners that use their SUV for off-road adventure, Ford introduces the all-new 2018 Expedition FX4 Off-Road package.
Expedition’s new high-strength, aluminum-alloy body and redesigned high-strength steel frame form the foundation for its off-road and towing capabilities. The use of advanced materials enabled engineers to save up to 300 pounds, with much of the savings reinvested to offer customers more technology and features than ever before, according to Ford.
The FX4 Off-Road package includes:
- Patented electronic limited-slip rear differential-Help improve off-road performance in low-traction situations by automatically varying power output side-to-side, depending on which wheels need extra traction. With 3.73:1 gearing, the electronic limited-slip rear differential also improves towing performance and capability
- Off-road-tuned shocks-Stiffly tuned to keep wheels in contact with the road
- All-terrain tires-Thicker sidewalls to maintain a smooth ride while delivering the traction needed over rough terrain
- Seven different skid plates-Serves as underbody armor to protect critical areas. They include a new sand shield to protect the turbocharger intercoolers from getting clogged when driving through tall berms in sand dunes, plus steel plates to protect steering gear, engine, transmission and transfer case and a full-length guard for the fuel tank. To help climb over tall or steep obstacles, the chin spoiler beneath the front bumper has been shortened to improve approach angles
- 18-inch Magnetic Metallic-painted cast-aluminum wheels
- Chrome running boards
- FX4 badging on the liftgate and front fender
- New rubber floor liners-Featuring deep side sills that can be removed and cleaned of any mud, sand or water that gets dragged in on family adventures
Expedition’s Terrain Management System lets FX4 customers select from seven special drive modes that help Expedition automatically adapt to different road conditions, according to Ford. This includes normal for around town driving, sport for more spirited trips, tow/haul for improved towing and hauling performance, eco for enhanced fuel economy, grass/gravel/snow for loose terrain, sand for low traction situations and mud/rut for uneven surfaces. Expedition FX4 drivers also can manually select either 2WD or 4WD modes in a given drive mode, depending on their preferences and terrain.
The new Expedition provides generous space, connectivity and smart new technology. The Expedition FX4 Off-Road Package has a powerful 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, rated at 375 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque, plus standard Auto Start-Stop, an all-new 10-speed transmission and available best-in-class towing of 9,300 pounds.
The vehicle also offers seating for eight people, with a wide cargo area to hold their gear. Expedition features a second-row seat with tip-and-slide functionality-providing easy access to the third row without the need to first remove a child safety seat. Once in the third row, even adults will appreciate more legroom and reclining seats, according to Ford.
The all-new Expedition lineup, including the FX4 Off-Road package, goes on sale this fall.